Monday, December 16, 2013

My Greatest Accomplishment As A Dentist

I have had many clinical successes and accomplishments during my almost 40 years of practicing dentistry. Last week, Trish, my hygienist saw 10 patients in one day  who had been with me 25-30 years and ranged in age from late 60s to early 80s. Not one of those patients had lost a single tooth while they were under my care.

Our Practiceworks software program has been used in our office for 18 years and it permits me to see every tooth that I have fixed during that time period at a quick glance. A visual survey of each patient showed that I had restored 15- 20 teeth while they have been my patient. A quick look at Practiceworks  
showed that over the last 18 years, I had only restored a few teeth  for this patient group during that time period.

In summary:
1. for most of my long term patients, they have lost very few teeth in the last 25-30 years
2. during the last 18 years, I have fixed very few teeth in this group of patients even though I have fixed almost every tooth in their mouth during the 25-30 year time period.
3. the cost to maintain their teeth for my long term patient has been extremely low considering the length of time that they have been my patient.

Do you understand why I consider this my greatest accomplishment?