Saturday, October 28, 2017

Dr. Benjamin is Expensive

I have discussed this subject many times but it is a topic that is always perplexing for me.

When something that you use every single day of your life lasts 20 or more years, can it really be expensive. Yes, on the day that you use your credit card. Does anyone even remember what something costs after 20 years.

Time for some math: if I charge you $365 for a filling and you use it everyday of the year that means that you paid me about $1 a day for your filling. Now if you use it for 20 years you will pay about 5 cents a day for my direct bonded filling.

So now that we have that out of the way, why do people think that I am expensive?

The answer is that there are two types of people: teeth people and non teeth people. What is the difference?

Teeth people place a high value on their teeth and are willing to pay money to keep their teeth in good repair and 'real' teeth  people will pay thousands of dollars for a stunning smile.

Non teeth people are willing to pay the least amount of money to keep their teeth because it is just not important to them.

This is NOT about good people or bad people or smart people and ignorant people. It is really how each of us sees the world.

As you can see, 5 cents a day is not expensive so it really is NOT about the money. In my 40 years of practice people have told me that I was expensive.

I don't get it.