Friday, January 30, 2009

The Doctor/Patient Relationship

I was trained in dentistry more than 30 yrs ago and one of the most important lessons that I was taught was that the Doctor/Patient relationship was the most special of all human relationships. We were taught to always put our patients best interest above and before our (the doctors) own best interest. We were also taught that if you did good work and were honest and ethical, that you would never have to worry about feeding your family.
After all these years, I still believe with all my heart that the doctor/patient relationship is unlike any other. Insurance companies call me a 'provider' while dental marketing companies want me to call the people that come to my office 'guests.'
I guess , that in some ways, I am old fashioned. I truly believe that YOU are my patient and it is my responsibility to take care of you and that is very important to me and my staff.