Thursday, May 14, 2009

The University calls me

I have been significantly involved with the Dental School at SUNY/Buffalo for about15 years. Actually, my relationship with UB goes back 41 years when I transferred to the University as a college junior.
Most people believe that colleges and universities are cutting edge institutions but in reality they are places that hate change because when things change, the faculty becomes obsolete and must retrain to remain current.
I left the Dental School at Buffalo several years ago when the University decided that the Esthetic Center that I helped found with Dr. Fred McIntyre and Dean Louis Goldberg no longer should exist. You see, the full time faculty did not like the fact that my Esthetic Center was teaching 'modern dentistry' while they wanted to continue teaching the same material that they taught to me 35 yrs ago
Last February, the Dean called me and asked me to go to dinner with him so that he could update me on the changes that the School was making. The school has decided to introduce all the material that that I had introduced to UB Dental School more than 10 years ago at the Esthetic Center.
Next week I will return to the University to discuss the changes to be made to the curriculum for undergraduate dental students and learn what role I will play.
I am thrilled that the University has accepted my suggestions and my young colleagues will learn some of the treatment modalities that I have been using in your treatment during the last almost 20 years.