Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Inspiring the Next Generation

I am always honored when one of my young colleagues calls or emails me asking for help with a case.

For 30 years, I was a dentist in Cropseyville, NY which is 6 miles east of Troy. I had no professional camaraderie for most of those years because no one really cared to befriend me...When I arrived in Troy in 1979, the older dentists shunned me and gave me the impression that I was stealing food from their families table. Since 1992, I have studied with the best dentists in the world and that is where I met dentists to study and commiserate with.

When I opened my office in Saratoga Springs three years ago, I quickly became recognized by my young colleagues as a talented clinician and a local resource to help them with their challenging cases. A few weeks ago, a young dentist called me and asked for help with diagnosing and treatment planning a case on a young girl. After a discussion, it was decided that the young dentist would bring her patient to my office so that we could co-treat the patient.

Last week we did actually treat the 13 year old girl and today I received a note of thanks from my colleague which said:

"What a fun and inspiring 2 days! Thank you very much for taking the time and expertise and for challenging us all to be better dentists!"

It is exciting to see the enthusiasm of my young colleagues and I am thrilled to make a difference in their careers.