Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Dean Pays Me a Visit

I refused to step inside of my dental school for the first 15 years after I graduated from SUNY/Buffalo because of how poorly the school treated the students. After almost 40 years, the majority of dentists that graduated in 1977 have refused to give any financial support to the dental school.

In 1994, I decided to forgive the sadistic treatment that my classmates and I received at the hands of the Dental School  and became involved in creating the world's first Dental Esthetic Center within a Dental School. The school became nationally recognized as "The Place" to learn about cosmetic dentistry.

The full time faculty hated the Esthetic Center and forced it to close 7 years after opening. When the Esthetic Center closed, I again withdrew from the Dental School despite being appointed Associate Clinical Professor (visiting). I have made a few visits to the school to  teach the top seniors at the request of my chairman.

This evening, the Dean of the School made a journey to Saratoga to request that I re-establish my relationship with the school. The Dean stated that he wants my expertise in restorative and cosmetic dentistry so that the students will learn  standards of Excellence.

I told him that I would have to think about this.