Saturday, October 19, 2013

Meeting Young Dentists

Since moving to Saratoga, I have made every effort to meet many of the younger dentists in the area. Troy had no younger dentists and the older dentists never really liked me even if they did not know me.
I help younger dentists work out some of their complex treatment plans and have given many lectures to them through the Root Canal Experts Education Center.

Now I am meeting young dentists for a different reason. My goal is to work another 10 years provided that I remain healthy and at the top of my game. In 3-4 years, I will find a younger dentist who will work with me for 4-5 years so that I can transfer all the knowledge that I know to them before I leave the profession.

I have been asked, "What are we going to do when you retire?" to which I have always answered, "You have more important things to worry about in your life than that but when I do retire, I will have found someone who is fabulous to take care of you."

Last Thursday evening I met a young dentist who joined Dr. Banchs and I for dinner. I wanted to know  a little about his future plans and to let him know that I had informally began a preliminary search for the person that will continue my legacy. During the course of a very warm and social dinner the young dentist said, "You realize that there will never be another Gerald Benjamin."

I told the young dentist that I did not share his view and that it was my job that the person that I work with in the future WILL have the same work ethic, knowledge, talent and concern for our patients that I do.

I come from a different generation of physicians and dentists than the current group. I was taught by my previous generation of dentists that you ALWAYS put your patient's best interest about my own needs.
I truly believed that all I would have to do is to find a young dentist who loves dentistry, is passionate about his or her  profession, is willing to pursue excellence and finally have the clinical skills to do the job right.  I now think that my job will be a lot harder than I originally thought.

I promise you that I will have a fabulous person and dentist to take care of you when I no longer can.