Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Dr. Benjamin Is Too Expensive"



Patients sometimes tell my staff that they think that I am too expensive. My staff and I would respectfully disagree with these comments. The patient in these photos works in the dental industry and his previous dentist told him that the broken tooth in the photo  (middle tooth) would require a crown because the mercury filling was very large and the tooth is weak. The cost would have been somewhere in the range of $1100-$1300.
As you can see from the photos, I replaced both mercury fillings with direct resin bonded fillings using rubber dam. The cost to repair BOTH teeth was a little over $600.

Now where I come from $600 to repair TWO teeth is a heck of lot less than $1300 to repair ONE tooth.

More importantly, the broken tooth had NO healthy tooth structure removed during the repair process. A crown would have required ALL of the remaining healthy  enamel to be removed and when the crown eventually failed as all dentistry will, there is a good possibility that the tooth would also be lost and an implant required (~$5,000)

When we compare apples to apples, not am I NOT more expensive I am actually a VALUE  bargain because  my patient usually pays less (in dollars) AND they get to keep all of their healthy, irreplaceable, beautiful, strong tooth structure.

I don't think that I have to discuss this subject again. NEXT.