Thursday, September 4, 2014

It Is Starting Again

For most of my career, long time patients would tell me, "Please don't ever retire." And when you are a dentist in your 40s or 50s, it would sort of make me laugh. My response was usually, "Why would you even worry about that? Don't you have something really important in your life to worry about? Besides who said that I was retiring?"

Now in my final ten  years of practice, patients ARE becoming concerned about who will be their dentist a decade from now. Just this week three patients pleaded with me not to retire. My response now is: " I am not retiring so don't worry and in any case, we have been thinking about my successor so that I will be able to work with them for 3-4 years BEFORE they enter our practice and work WITH them for 5-6 years to help them develop into fine restorative dentists.

I then explain that in addition to having fabulous clinical skills, my successor must be highly ethical and devoted to our patients.

This is a very big hurdle for the dentist that will follow me but I am confident that you will be in great hands for the next 10 years and beyond.

Don't you have something REALLY important to worry about?