Sunday, October 19, 2014

Listening to Words of "Wisdom" from a Young Man

My wife is in Hilton Head visiting with her brother and his wife. That means that I have been on my own for dinner this past week and last night was the only time that I actually went out for dinner.
The easiest place to go to and eat by yourself is the Indian Restaurant  (Karavalli) in town.  I always bring a hard copy of the New York Times when I go out to eat even though I almost always read the paper online.

There was a table of four behind me and I assume that it was a 3 member family with an invited guest.  The guest was 22 and a college senior and spoke with exceptional authority on any subject that was discussed. I know, I know...when I was his age, I probably did the same thing. However, I reached a point in my life in my early 40s when I realized how little I really knew about dentistry and went on an education mission which resulted in spending about $4.5 million dollars and getting almost 4500 hours of Continuing Education. ( Aside: in the early 1990s, there were VERY few dentists with a clear understanding of how to diagnose and treat the entire oral system of muscles, teeth, bone, soft tissue, salivary glands  and a finicky joint.) Once I started to study I had  a better understanding of how much I needed to learn and learn I did.

In the early days, I never tried to impress anyone with how little I knew and never spoke out in a post graduate class. I have been on many international dental websites and it never fails to amaze me how little people know but they say it with such authority.

Today, I know a significant amount of knowledge about restorative dentistry but I don't offer information unless I am asked.

The young man was a great source of entertainment for me. Speaking as an authority without much knowledge may sound great socially but ....

The word 'Wisdom' and youth cannot be used in the same sentence. (Except here, of course. lol)