Friday, April 12, 2019

Equally Great Advice for Young Dentist and Young Physicians

Milton Packer, MD wrote a great short article to his young colleagues:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/revolutionandrevelation/79125?fbclid=IwAR0itWFpaTGs6YpGMOU92SASWTpmJj7P9xSdSloI8tcoYB2OzREDjYFk_UU

Asking whether medicine was their job or their career? The difference, according to Dr. Packer, is that if health care is your job, you are only concerned about making your employer happy. If health care is your career, then your goal  is to find positions that allow you to pursue your own goals and development. If you think of medicine as a career, you select positions that allow you to keep focused on your mission. He feels that being the best at some aspect of your job is very important  in a career but not the only important thing...What he truly believes is important is challenging conventional thinking and take your own path.

In 1956 we obtained the ability to bond to enamel and in 1992, we learned how to bond to dentin, the layer of tooth structure just below the enamel. At that moment, I realized that what I had been taught in dental school was no longer valid information when treating patients. Dentinal bonding meant that I no longer had to destroy tooth structure for a crown and therefore teeth would last longer and perhaps an entire lifetime.

I was roundly condemned by colleagues  but 25+ years later, I was right in not following conventional thought. How do I KNOW that I was right???? Virtually all of my long term patients of 20, 30 and even 40 years have almost every tooth that they started with me as their dentist...And they don't have many crowns.

I took a big risk and all of you won because you have kept your teeth.