Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why is this happening to me, Doc?

Many of us middle aged folks forget that most of our parents did not get to be our age and have all their teeth. In fact, we are the first generation in the history of the world to get to be this old with most or many of our own teeth. And we can thank American dentistry for this.
Last week I fractured one of my back teeth and it will have to be extracted later this week. Unfortunately, this is the fourth molar that has fractured and has to be removed and a dental implant placed. I'm not happy about this and neither are most of my patients when they come to my office with a similar problem.
There isn't a whole lot that any of us can do about this since these teeth had root canals and crowns 25-30 years ago and that is all we can reasonably expect these teeth to survive.
In any case, I am not happy about having to lose another tooth so you see that I am just like you when bad things happen to our teeth.