Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Maverick?

We discuss many things on the ACE Dental Forum. Clinical dentistry (my favorite), the business of running a dental practice, ethics and even some politics.
One of my favorite contibutors is Dr. June Darling, a noted psychologist and dental business consultant. June provides us with her rational and reasonable thoughts about why we are who we are and why we behave like we behave as well as why some business relationships work and why they don't.
She recently responded to a dentist who asked about 'Team Meetings' and I sent her a private email informing her that I in 34 years I have never had a team meeting. Her response to me was "It does surprise me that people can have great organizations without having some sort of team meeting. But Gerald wouldn't you call yourself a "maverick"?"

I responded to Dr. Darling with the following:

1. I will not hurt anyone for money
2. I will do the very best that I can for each patient that I treat
3. I will not be unethical
4. I will treat my staff with dignity and respect and as much like family as I can
5. I will strive for excellence because that is what my patients expect and pay me for?
6. "Do the Right Thing" is the office motto and we follow it?
Which of these makes me a maverick?

Have our values as a society changed so much that my old time values would label me a 'Maverick?'

You have asked me to take care of you and I have PROMISED you that I will.What an old fashioned concept.