Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Nursing Home Visit

I told you about the elderly man who has been my patient for 30 YEARS and was worried that no one would take care of his wife who is in a nursing home. I assured Mr. F that I would continue to see his wife in the nursing home to keep my eye on her implant supported dentures.

This morning I went to a nursing home in Troy to see my old friend. She is 82 and remains sharp as a tack. Unfortunately, she is very unhappy in the facility and wants to go home which, of course, just is not possible. She cried for most of my hour long visit and either wants to die or go home.

I stayed to talked with Mrs. for much longer than the dental exam required but she is lonely and this was the least I could do for someone who has given me 30 years of loyalty. I kissed Mrs. F when I arrived and when I left. 30 year relationships of any kind are rare but a professional doctor-patient relationship is truly to be cherished.

I am honored to have taken care of Mrs. F these past three decades. And if you think my visit was motivated by making money, you are completely wrong. There was no charge to see my old friend. Would you ask your old friends to pay you to visit?