Sunday, April 29, 2012

"The Best Dental School Lecture"

I made my annual visit to SUNY/Buffalo to lecture to the senior class about excellence in restorative dental treatment. Usually, I lecture to the entire senior class in the morning and then teach the eight 'esthetic students' how to perform advanced cosmetic precedures for the entire afternoon. This year was a little different because the senior dental students take their final exams next week and they 'needed' to study and could not attend my lecture. The students that attended my course were promised at the beginning of the day that I would attempt to give them the best lecture that they had in their four years in dental school...And at the end of the 8 hour long course, each student told me how much they enjoyed my presentation and 'hands on' course. My friend and former chairman of the Restorative Department is trying to make a difference in the lives of our students and if were not for him, I would never visit the dental school again. I have little use for mediocrity and IN MY OPINION, my dental school has become a breeding ground for mediocrity. There is no reason that the material that I presented yesterday is not included in the dental school curriculum...Perhaps it is because some of the faculty has never attended one of my lectures. I was honored by my former chairman's comments about my work and his invitation to travel with him to lecture around the world. He believes that many dentists would greatly benefit from learning about the work that I do. I would rather take care of my patients than earning large sums of money to lecture.