Sunday, August 11, 2013

Just When You Thought That You Saw It All

As you know, Susan and I go to Compton's on Broadway in Saratoga for  breakfast on Friday and Saturday mornings. This is a basic restaurant/diner that moves people in and out and no one would confuse this with Fine Dining.

Yesterday, as we were getting ready to leave Compton's, a man came in carrying 3 large coffee type drinks from Starbucks down the street. So the man sits down with his two friends to have their drinks without considering that it is impolite to bring food or drinks into a restaurant establishment. What was this man thinking and how did he think that Compton's was going to pay its rent, electricity, insurance, food bill and staff?

I often receive email from prospective patients asking if they can come in to my office for a consultation for FREE? I never want to be rude but I have to ask myself if the bank will forgive one hour of my mortgage or if my staff will forgo an hours pay.

Do people who work for the State work for free?
Do teachers work for free? Policeman?

Why would I want to work for nothing and what would happen if 20 people a month wanted free one hour consultations?

In a Capitalist Society, this makes no sense.  People must be paid for their time, their talent,  and their expertise just like in the old days.