Sunday, February 22, 2015

Is Cost the Best Way to Find a 'Good' Dentist?

This appeared on some website called 'AlloverAlbany.' These are her comments after her appointment in MY OFFICE.






A good dentist?

woman at the dentistJulie emails:
I'm one of many people in this area who don't have dental insurance and i just paid $221 for my 6 month cleaning and bitewing xrays. My previous dentist, who recently retired, was significantly less expensive, so I'm wondering if any of your readers know of a dentist in this area who isn't quite so expensive and isn't retiring soon?
Or do I need to just start saving now for my next cleaning in 6 months?
Julie's in the Saratoga area, so she's interested in dentists there. We'll also open this up to (good/affordable/combo of both) dentists around the Capital Region (we've had a few people ask this question).

What constitutes being a 'good' dentist? The highest ratings? The most votes in a survey?
Patients that REALLY don't care about quality truly believe that all dentists are the same and therefore, they will use the following 'standards' to find a dentist:

1. Do they accept my insurance?
2. Are they cheap?
3. Are they close to my home or office?

If this is how you decide on which dentist to see, I will never be your dentist and this is good for both of us because I will never make you happy when 'how little can I spend on my teeth' is your only goal.

However, if you want to know REAL standards upon which to rate a dentist I will offer you what I would look for:

1. The dentist treats ONE patient at a time minimum 1 hour appointments.
2. The dentist is more concerned about SAVING my teeth and tooth structure rather than
     DESTROYING my tooth with a crown.
3.The dentist always uses a rubber dam.
4. The dentist publishes their work on professional dental sites for professional criticism
5. The dentist has a minimum of 2500 hours of Continuing Education at QUALITY institutes or
     programs.  (Aside: Cruises in Europe do not count as serious dental education)
6. The dentist has a Clinical faculty appointment  at a dental school
7. The dentist has a quality website that shows you actual clinical cases that the dentist has completed
8. The dentist has taken the time to publish cases in a peer reviewed dental journal
9. The dentist has achieved high praise from colleagues as a result of education, teaching, posting
     cases or winning a peer reviewed clinical contest
10. The office is clean and up to date including technology. (Aside: If your dentist is still taking
      X-Rays with film rather than digitally....RUN...Digital radiography is TWENTY  years old.)
11. The staff treats you with dignity and respect and everyone knows your name.
12. If the dentist advertises that 'We participate with most dental insurance' they are not going to be
      committed to EXCELLENCE.
13. The staff appears happy and has been in their job for 10+ years.

Perhaps I have left something out but this is a pretty good starting point for selecting  an above average dentist. Call 10 or 20 dentists in the Capital District  who have been 'rated as excellent'
in the ratings and ask the office manager the questions on my list.

If cost is what you are looking at in selecting a dentist then excellence is not your major concern.

If you are looking at cars or houses, aren't the ones that cost more built better and last longer?  Health care is the same.