Sunday, June 14, 2015

We Never Hear It Anymore

I subscribe to many financial newsletters because I need to be prepared when I finally retire from my beloved profession in about 10 years. I don't get a pension so I must be knowledgeable about investing for my retirement. I was fortunate enough to be able  help my parents when their nest egg was depleted when my mother developed Alzheimer's Disease. I also helped my sister when she too developed early onset dementia.

In the current issue of Motley Fool Hidden Gems, Seth Jayson said, "Helping the world invest better is an honor, a privilege  and a responsibility." Did you notice that Seth said nothing about making money for himself and that is because he was taught by the old-timers that you place your client's best interest above his own.

I feel exactly the same way as Seth Jayson: It is an honor, a privilege and a responsibility to take care of you. The idea of benefiting myself instead of taking care of you has never entered my mind in the almost 4 decades that I have cared for my patients.

I have to tell you though...this is a different world and all I hear professionals talk about is money...making money, not making money, or insurance companies  not paying them money.

Is this the world that you want to get old in? I am concerned and I think that you should be too.