Sunday, July 17, 2016

How Sad

I recently spoke with two older gentlemen who have been retired for 13 years and 9 years respectively and each was thrilled to be done with work.

How sad...

As someone who has always loved their job, I cannot understand how or why someone would stop working by choice...Do they have another 'calling' in their lives like music, art, philanthropy or teaching that they did not have time for while employed? Or did they spend  3 or more decades working at a job that they did not enjoy or worse.....hated?

Many of my colleagues view dentistry as just a job which enables them to do or buy what they really want to have. Dentistry "done right" is interesting, exciting and never boring. For me, it is about trying to use all of my knowledge (6200 hours of post dental school education) and all of my skills attained over a 4 decade career to produce the finest level of dentistry that I can. Dentistry would be boring if it was only about 'doing another bonded posterior direct resin.' It is ALWAYS about trying to do the BEST possible bonded posterior direct resin that has ever been done in the history of the world. That is the goal despite the fact that the goal is virtually unattainable.

But I am ENGAGED in what I am doing for you.

If someone doesn't like their job...move on...If their job is boring, find a way to make it exciting...
But not enjoying going to work??? Very sad.