Thursday, June 22, 2017

Would You Like to See Great Dentistry?

This patient came to my office 3 years ago for veneers. I informed her that she was not a good candidate for veneers because too much tooth structure would have to be removed from her teeth which would weaken them dramatically. BUT, I informed her that Dr. Cooney, my orthodontist, could straighten her teeth with  Invisalign Therapy in a relatively short period of time and that it was important for her to pay him a visit.  Dr. Cooney showed the patient how he would move her teeth and what the final result would be. The patient accepted his recommendations and he successfully moved her teeth. It was then my job to remove her old mercury fillings and all the tooth decay underneath them and rebuild her teeth with very strong bonded resin fillings with no healthy tooth structure being removed. I will tell you with the highest degree of confidence that the vast majority of dentists would have placed crowns on virtually every back tooth in theses photos which, by my count would be 10-11 crowns. In my office, the total cost for crowns, if I did them would have been about $18,000-$20,000. In my office, the bonded resin fillings cost approximately $4,000. Not only did the patient save a considerable amount of money but more importantly she saved her OWN TEETH. (Aside: I thought that Dr. Benjamin is very expensive? Do the math $18,000 minus $4,000 is a saving of $14,000. I am ALWAYS offended when people say that they heard that I am very expensive.)
Sorry for the diversion.
Dr. Cooney calls this one of the most amazing cases that he has ever done and one of his favorite cases. He lectures all over the Northeast lecturing about this case and dentists are amazed by this case. I am honored to have treated this patient and to have contributed to her happiness and joy when she saw the results. And what do dentists from around the world say when I posted this case on DentalXp?  They too are amazed and I hope that you are too.


One of my colleagues wrote the following on a dental forum:
Hi Gerald,

That’s some freakin’ awesome dentistry!  The ortho call was 
obvious, but to restore all those teeth with “just” composite 
is clinically amazing.  

I would’ve likely done crowns on #’s 3, 4, 13, 14, 19, 29, and 30, 
and composites on the others needing restoration.  Frankly you saved 
the patient lots of tooth structure and money.  Congrats!