Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Old Fashioned Way

Susan and I were in Charlotte, NC for the long Labor Day Weekend and we went to dinner with some new friends that we met on our last visit to that area.

The man works in internet digital marketing and has read many of the popular business books on sales, marketing and success. At one point he turned to me and asked, "And how did you manage to become so successful?" Most marketing people believe that there is a 'secret' for  business success which usually involves a unique way to sell or market oneself.

I responded that I did it the old fashioned way: I took virtually more post graduate courses than an other dentist in my area and usually with some of the best clinicians in the country. Having taken 7,000 hours of post doctoral education in one area: fixing teeth and restoring implants, I was eminently competent to do what I do.

I also told him that my GOAL is to try to be the best in what I do. (Note to those in organized dentistry: this is NOT a claim that I am the best.) In addition to trying to be the best, I am the most passionate dentist that I know in restorative dentistry, I work more hours than the vast majority and I always place my patient's well being ahead of my financial well being.

Practicing excellence in any business in America is a rarity in 2017. Almost every business wants to make more money, do less work and skimp on the product or service.

My office success is simply based on what lots of people used to do in America: Work hard, study hard and do the right thing.

Sorry to disappoint the marketing people. There is no secret to our success.