Sunday, December 17, 2017

An Interesting Article inToday's New York Times

Every day patients ask me how much longer I will be working and everyday I tell my patients that I have no interest in retirement.

Well I am not alone among professionals. On pg. 5 of the Business Section of Times there is a story about professionals like me who have no interest in retiring.

"Dr. Laura Popper, 71, a Manhattan pediatrician works because her professions central to her identity.  'I wanted to be  a doctor since I was 4---why would I give that up?"

There was also mention of a Federal District Court Judge, Jack B. Weinstein who is 96 and says that he has no intention of retiring.

Like Dr. Popper and Judge Weinstein, I have no intention of retiring any time soon. Let me assure you that I am doing the best work of my career at this time in my life. And just so that you know: I wanted to be a dentist since age 9 and I have the distinction of being rejected from almost all the American dental schools at least once 3 years in a row. Do you think that I was determined to become a dentist and driven to try to be among the best of my profession?

One of the most disheartening things that I heard yesterday was from a Canadian dentist practicing for only 18 years. He told me that he cannot wait to retire because he found running a practice and doing dentistry very hard and very stressful.  He was jealous when I told him that I LOVE being a dentist when we were chatting on Facebook Messenger. How sad it that?

If you would like to read the article yourself:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/business/asked-about-retiring-they-have-a-simple-answer-why.html?ref=todayspaper