Friday, December 29, 2017

“I Wish You Bad Luck” Not Political But Enlightening

The Wall Street Journal published an Op-Ed piece in today’s paper in which Chief Justice John Roberts elaborates on this spring’s ninth grade graduation speech.
What Justice Roberts said was:

“From time to time in the years to come, I hope that you will be treated unfairly,so that you will come to know the values of justice. I hope that you will suffer betrayal, because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time,I hope every now and then your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope that you will be ignored so that you know the importance of listening to other, and I hope you will have just enough pains to learn compassion. Whether I wish you these things or not, they’re going to happen. And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.”

What an incredible message to our children. Forget children...every adult needs to read and understand the Chief Justice’s words.

Truly, this is what WISDOM sounds like. Do we as a nation need more of that as well as kindness, courtesy, compassion and intelligence?

Read and Learn

Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year for you, your family and everyone that is meaningful in your life.