Friday, February 13, 2009

Trusting those that care for us

It is now very obvious that trusting those that take care of us or who are supposed to act in our best interest has become more difficult. We know that trusting banks, financial institutions and politicians is no longer possible and they will have to change a great deal to regain our confidence. Trusting a dentist use to be very easy and, in fact, many years ago dentists were in the top three most trusted individuals. How do we know we can trust a new dentist?
1. Ask staff members in a new dental office how long the team has worked together or when the newest person began.
2. Ask how many hours of continuing education the dentist has. ('Educational' vacations don't count)
3. Ask if the dentist uses rubber dam for all of their routine dentistry.
4. Ask to see photographs of cases that the doctor has personally done.
5. Ask a dentist who their dentist is.
6. If the dentist participates in every insurance plan....Please be careful.
My staff and I have worked together for a total of 150 years and my newest staff member joined us 12 years ago. I have 2400 hours of continuing education including a Certificate of Proficiency in Esthetic Dentistsry (more than anyone else in the Capital District) and use rubber dam for every patient. Please look at my gallery section to see my beautiful dentistry. My personal dentist is Dr. Fred McIntyre in Buffalo, NY; he is one of the finest dentists in the world.
I will do everything possible to earn and keep your trust.