Sunday, August 30, 2009

I Could Not Say It Better

All dentists believe that they are good clinical dentists. My office manager, Tricia believes that a dentist could not practice dentistry without thinking that they are 'good dentist.' Sadly, mediocrity is the order of the day.
I would like to quote extensively from an editorial by Dr. Harald O Haymann, the editor in chief of the Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry,one of the premier peer reviewed dental journals. Volume21,Number4, 2009
"If there is a term in dentistry that is all too frequently used in a casual and flippant manner it is "clinical excellence." It is like Mom, the flag, and apple pie: no one ever disagrees with a claim or proclamation for clinical excellence. But to what extent does it still truly exist in dentistry and how is it achieved? In an age that is becoming ever more dominated by demands for speed and profit along with declining accountability, I believe clinical excellence is all too frequently and regrettably falling by the wayside."
"...No material or technique will overcome deficiencies in the clinician, no matter who advocates it or how well it is hyped. We as individuals represent the singularly most important element in achieving clinical excellence."
"Dr. Clifford Sturdevant, an old master kept a brass plaque on his desk that was inscribed with these words: "If it's almost right, it's wrong?"
I have said these exact same thoughts to you in every single post in my blog. Dentists are like everyone else which is mostly average. Why would a patient select an average physician or dentist to take care of them? To save a few dollars???? My patients know that I will do my very best on every appointment to take care of them and it is my ETHICAL obligation not to let you down.
Clinical excellence is something that I strive for every minute of everyday for every patient. It is my honor to take care of each and every one of you and that means striving for clinical excellence because that is what you are PAYING me for.