Sunday, July 31, 2011

What It All Means

I recently posted a case on the ACE dental forum and received incredibly positive comments about my work. However, the best comment and the one that means the most to me was from my mentor, Dr. McIntyre. When he saw my work, he sent me the following note:

"You have become the best of the best.We need 1000's more like you in the profession."

You may think that I am egotistical or narcissistic by telling you about what other dentists say about me. And that would be completely WRONG.

This is not about me but rather it is about YOU, MY PATIENT, and how you are treated in my office. Other dentists,some of them world class, are telling YOU that you are receiving wonderful care in my office.

I made a promise in 1977 when I graduated dental school that I would take of my patients the best that I could. I did not know that my work would be the envy of other dentists but I did know that MY NEED is to take care of YOU.

I congratulate you for being a wise dental consumer. You haven't listened to your friends or coworkers who think that you should go to the least expensive dentist that you can find. You want a dentist to take care of you because he or she has an ethical, a moral and a professional obligation to do so.

I am honored by my colleagues opinions of my work but I am more honored that you selected ME to be your dentist.

And I thank you for that.