Wednesday, July 25, 2012

It is What I Believe

President Harry S. Truman said:

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.”

I have always been an optimist who strongly believes that things can ALWAYS be better. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING MONEY. It has everything to do with having a passion for striving for excellence (a phrase that Colin Powell uses in his new book.)

36 years ago last week I was pinned between two parked cars and my leg was amputated and thankfully reattached. (My lifelong gratitude to the late Dr. Roger D. Seibel). I never asked "Why Me?" because I knew that it was not a question that had an answer. Instead, I asked myself, "How can we recover from this and get back to dental school so that I could graduate with my class?" My injury was one of the most positive experiences in my life because it gave me the knowledge that I was 'made of the right stuff' and could conquer any challenge that was presented to me.

When my practice suffered in July of 2007 as a result of the start of the RECESSION (and after a record breaking first 6 months of the year) I again did not ask, "Why Me?" Tricia, my office manager of 30 years, and I pondered how we would move forward with our mission to provide superb clinical dentistry for those patients that wanted it. We found a way to turn the devistating effect of the Recession into an incrediblely positive experience by moving our office (and my home) to Saratoga Springs.

There is little that cannot be accomplished with creative thinking, hard work, passion, hope and prayer.

I will never give up hope of trying to become one of the best clinical dentists in the world because I am an optimist and I owe it to YOU.