Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Being Your Doctor

We have many opportunities throughout the week to see patients that are having other medical issues and are besides themselves because local physicians are unable to pin down a diagnosis. I am a big fan of the TV program, Mystery Diagnosis and it amazes me how long it takes and how much treatment the poor patient has before a wise doctor decides that the patient neeeds to see a true expert which is usually in a differenct city.

I have been treating a patient for a few years who was diganosed with a significant auto-immune disease and treated with some potent medications. I strongly suggested that she leave the Capital District and obtain a consultation at the reknown, Mayo Clinic. When I saw my patient last week, she told me that she DID in fact go to the Mayo Clinic and that she definitely did not have the illness for which she had been treated for the last five years.

I examined a relatively new patient recently and she told me that she was having a significant amount of trouble with her ankle and that she was going to have surgery locally. I strongly suggested that she go to Hospital For Special Surgery in Manhattan for a second opinion. She was examined by one of the best ankle surgeons in the country who told her that she needed an ankle replacemnt and that probably no one in the Albany area would be able to treate her problem.

My job is to take care of you and I will do everything possible to make sure that you receive great care.