Sunday, August 5, 2012

"The Defense of Mediocrity2"

The discussion on the IDF dental forum on the 'rights' of mediocre dentists to be mediocre continues and those dentists rising up to support mediocre dental treatment is deafening.

It is astounding to me that a dentist would go on an international forum DEFENDING mediocrity. The dentist from Pennsylvania stated that we must be accepting of average dentists posting their work so that the below average might see this and 'aspire' to mediocrity.

Oh really???????????????

This is like saying average level athletes have a RIGHT to appear in the Olympics.

Forget the fact that I am a dentist and this is a dental blog. What is happening to our great nation when mediocre is not only tolerated by celebrated?

Mind you...when I posted my comments, it was NOT to criticize the actual treatment of the dentist. It was a gentle reminder that if you are going to show your work to the world, there are acceptable ways to do that ie take one's gloved finger out of the photo by using cheek retractors.

I guess that a patient has a right to select a mediocre physician or dentist but then I wouldn't be their dentist.