Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Ace in the Hole

"Ace in the hole" is an old expression meaning that you have something in reserve just in case you need to get out of a challenging situation.

I saw a patient today who I treated 11 years ago when I virtually rebuilt her entire front tooth with resin bonding. Today she presented with the resin veneer in a plastic bag as it had come off of her tooth. These restorations are not meant for long term use and are generally used when a patient can't afford a crown.

I meticulously cleaned the resin veneer and the remaining natural tooth and carefully rebonded the restoration back onto the tooth and who knows, the patient may keep the restoration for a quarter of a century.

At the end of the appointment, my patient tells me that she has her routine dentistry done by her "REGULAR DENTIST." I always chuckle to myself when patients tell me that they only come to me when there they have a challenging dental problem. Some people keep me as their "Ace in the hole" instead of their regular dentist.
I AM a 'regular' dentist. lol