Friday, March 29, 2013

Reconsidering a Previous Post: An Apology

Every once in a while I make a statement that is a sweeping generalization, that while generally true, is not absolutely correct.

I made a statement in which I said that the best dentists do not accept insurance and while I stand by that statement, there are exceptions. A dentist with really good dental skills, high standards and a solid education will, for whatever, personal decision, to practice in an environment that accepts dental insurance. Last night after another fabulous course at the Root Canal Experts Education Center, I  was challenged by an excellent, young local dentist to correct my sweeping generalization about dentists who participate with dental insurance companies.

None of the world class dentists that I study with and who have served as mentors for me accept dental insurance. They all believe that they must answer to their patients without the interference of insurance companies whose sole purpose is to generate profits for the company and their shareholders without regard to what is in the best interest of the patient.

If a cardiac patient needs quadruple by-pass surgery an insurance company will  not say that the patient can have one blood vessel replaced every year for 4 yours. But in dentistry, if a patient NEEDS three crowns, the insurance company WILL  say that you have to place one crown a year for three years. It makes no sense. And this is  why the top dentists in the country will not participate with insurance companies.

BUT occasionally a really good dentist WILL  accept insurance and I should have made that clear in my blog. No one should be afraid to apologize when exceptions arise. I apologized to my colleague last night and told him that I would blog about this in my next posting.