Friday, August 7, 2015

Just Last Week

I have been doing an extensive reconstruction on a relatively young physician in his mid 40s. Needless to say, we have spent 30-40 HOURS together during his treatment which involved 6-7 hour appointments and an hour on several Saturdays, making minor adjustments for his comfort. This level of treatment is time intensive, complex and expensive.

Last Monday, I saw the good Doctor at the end of my day to refine his bite for comfort and my staff had left for the day. He told me that I reminded him of his first mentor at Albany Med in the early 2000s who is approximately my age. His mentor was totally consumed by caring for his  patient and could care less about profitability for the Hospital. What my patient said was that I give my patients the same level of care and concern that he witnessed from his mentor and that he realized that making money for me was secondary to his good care.

I could not be more honored by his comments. I truly believe that many in my professional generation had a 'calling' to take care of other human beings and while we were reasonably well paid, that was not our primary concern.

I hope that those of you who read my blogs are also able to see that your oral health is my only concern while I am at my office taking care of patients.

I will never recommend treatment that is not in YOUR best interest and will never do anything to generate profit at your expense. I strongly suspect that today's young medical/dental professionals do not have the same philosophy....How sad.