Friday, January 29, 2016

An Objective View From 3,000 Miles Away

Bill was one of my first patients having been with me since around 1980; his wife became my patient 5-7 years later. They are moving to the Northwest to be closer to their son and recently bought a house near Seattle where some of the finest dentists in the country are located. Bill keeps returning to the Capital District because their house hasn't sold yet so he is still my patient. I saw Bill last week on his cleaning appointment and he told me that he had a message from his wife.

"She found a new dentist based on your qualifications (meaning a dentist that uses a rubber dam, takes a lot of continuing education, is not an insurance dependent dentist who 'pushes crowns' etc.
The dentist examined her teeth and made two comments:

1.You dentistry is exceptional
2. Your previous dentist is excellent.

As is characteristic of many of my long term patients, the wife has every tooth that she had when she started with me about 27 years ago and....she has NO crowns, the most destructive method of 'fixing' teeth.

I am truly honored by the comments of the Seattle area dentist. We all know that I am not perfect but during my entire career, I have tried to do the very best that I could to take care of you. It makes me feel good to know that my work is appreciated by those that know good clinical dentistry.

Do not listen to folks that say, "Dr. Benjamin is expensive." Cutting down your teeth for crowns is expensive and destroys your teeth. Placing strong, long lasting direct resins costs 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a crown and keeps every millimeter of healthy tooth structure.

It all depends on what you value.