Friday, November 20, 2009

Respect from Young Dentists

I have learned many things in my 30+ year career in dentistry and one of them is that many older dentists have stopped learning and work to maintain a standard of living. Young dentists, on the other hand, want to learn and do excellent dentistry. I went to a seminar last night with 40 other dentists and I probably got to speak with every young dentist at the course; many I met for the first time. Without fail, my young colleagues told me that they had heard of me and the superb dentistry that I do.
One young dentist,who is on the path towards excellence, followed me to my office to discuss some cases and before we parted he told me that I am the only dentist the he could discuss real dentistry with and his final words were, "You are the only dentist that I know around here who walks the walk. You do it right."
I am honored to have the respect of many of my young colleagues. Unfortunately, it also means that I have become the one of the old guys in my profession... God gave young folks strength and beauty and the old guys wisdom. Apparently, you can't have both at the same time. lol
In the olden days, excellence and respect went hand in hand. My young colleagues may not know how to do excellent dentistry but they know it when they see it. It is very gratifying to have their respect.