Saturday, February 19, 2011

How Others View Us

Have you ever heard a recording of yourself and think, "That's not how I think I sound?" We all THINK that we sound different from what we are hearing.
I think that how we view ourselves may also be different from how others view us.We all think highly of ourselves and that is what makes up our egos and self respect.

I am honored to know that my colleagues feel that I am a pretty good clinician because that is how I view myself.

This morning I received an email from my young friend and mentee from Bangalore, India. This was his email:

Hello Dr.Gerald, I read this in today's newspaper, Its a saying from Mike Ditka, "Success is about having, excellence is about being. Success is about having money and fame, but excellence is being the best you can be".
When I read this, a picture of you just flashed in my mind. You are a true example of the later. Have a nice weekend. Regards, Ashok.

A dentist in Houston sent me an email after I posted a case from 9 years ago that was still functioning perfectly even though most dentists have only 5 years of success with this technique. The dentist said: " Hey Gerald,
>> Coming from you I would expect that! :-)"

How we view ourselves is very important to our psychological wellbeing. How our world views us is the only thing that is really important.