Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Physicians Love Being a Doctor but They Hate the Job

There was an interesting story on CNN Money today about physicians who are leaving Medicine not because they don't enjoy being a physician but because Insurance Companies tell them how to practice and how much money they can earn.

If a doctor can't earn a living to have a good life and pay back $300,000 to $500,000 in student loans why would anyone stay in that job?

Remember a few blogs back I told you that the surgeon who replaced my shoulder was paid $1433 by Medicare (Medicaid for the old) which was below the cost of doing business. In fact the parts in my new shoulder probably cost more than what the doctor was paid. Now why would anyone want to become a talented surgeon when you can't earn a decent living?

I gave up participating with insurance companies about 25 years ago because I can listen to one master: YOU.

I don't care what an insurance company says but you can bet that I listen to each and everyone of my patients.  My job is to take care of you the best way that I can and I will not let an insurance company with a CEO earning $40 million a year tell me that I have to work faster (sorry 'more efficiently'), use cheap materials, hire an inexperienced staff and have an old dingy office.

As long as I continue to practice dentistry, I will do what I have always done...Give you my very best effort.

I feel sorry for young  physicians and dentists who have no idea how wonderful medicine and dentistry can be.