Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Concept of Passion for What One Does

Wikipedia defines 'passion' in several ways and the one that I like is:

"Passion is an intense emotion a compelling enthusiasm or desire for something."

Last week I asked one of newer patients how she decided to become a patient in our office. She answered that another one of my new patients told her how passionate I was about my work and that is what she wanted.

Also last week, my office manager, Trisha and I had a discussion about how egotistical some physicians and dentists can be. We spoke about ego and she said, "You do not have a big ego, you are just passionate about your work." I responded that the other dentists on one of my forums thing that I am arrogant and egotistical and she said, "They do not know you...they do not understand your passion for dentistry. They are not passionate about dentistry and therefore you come across as arrogant. You are not egotistical."

I truly believe that GOD or nature (whichever you believe) does not give the gene for passion to many. Consequently when we see someone who loves what they do and constantly strives for excellence, we think that they are different, odd or even arrogant.

Think about it...Don't you want the people that take care of you to love what they do and want to be the best at what they do??? And those that are passionate about what we do, rarely care about the money.

Just more to think about.