Sunday, September 25, 2016

Another Loss

I took care of David since he was about 12 years old. His family, one of my favorites, has been my patient since about 1981 or for 35 years.

About 13 years ago, David developed a neurological disease which forced him to stop working and to, once again, be dependent on his parents. None of his family ever missed a 6 month dental check up but a few years ago it became evident that David was declining as he would have to be helped into and out of my dental chair. Several years ago, David received his health care through Medicaid and his Mother told me that he would have to go to another dentist because I did not participate in that program. My response was: "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!. I have always taken care of David and I would continue to do so AT NO CHARGE. This is how you take care of people when they are down on their luck.

I received a one page letter last week informing me that David had succumbed to his disease.

I was heartbroken to learn the news. At the bottom of the page was a long list of people that the family wanted to thank and my name was mentioned.

I was honored to be David's dentist almost all the days of his life.