Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Corrupt Sugar Industry

In the 1960s, The Sugar Research Foundation  paid Harvard scientists  the equivalent  (in today's dollars) of $50,000 to convince the country that it wasn't sugar that was causing heart disease but rather fat. This just came to light in the most recent issue of JAMA INTERNAL MEDICINE. (JAMA is the Journal of the American Medical Associate and one of the most influential medical journals.)

This means that for the last 50 years we have been told that we must reduce our intake of FATS if we want to keep our hearts healthy.

Once again, we get misinformation because honest people were willing to sell their integrity for money.

Is this any different than the employees of Wells Fargo opening fake credit card accounts and loans in our name so that they could earn more money?

We tend to see the corruption around us as something new but the reality is that unethical behavior by business has been around for quite some time.

May patients must be sick of me saying that I am not interested in your money if I do not give you value. On Tuesday morning a staff member's relative came into our office with a toothache and after examining the patient and taking an x-ray I informed the patient that he could ask Dr. Banchs, the root canal expert and I to save his tooth BUT the reality was that despite the fact that we could save the tooth for a year or two, it might be better for him to remove the tooth and not waste his money because the the tooth was so badly destroyed by tooth decay.

Am I crazy??? I could have made $1700 for doing a crown after the root canal was completed and instead I made $125 for the consult. How could I do this?

Integrity.

Ethics.

Do the right thing.

I do not hurt patients for money. I will not take your money unless you benefit from my treatment.
I took an oath to do no harm and after 40 years.....I still believe in that oath.