Sunday, July 16, 2017

I Don't Get It

I have been a dentist for 40 years and my job, as you know, is to take care of you in the best possible  way. In the biggest picture, it is my job to fix a tooth as FEW times in your life as possible. Yes, I won't make the most amount of money because fixing a tooth many, many times IS PROFITABLE.

But it is not about the money for ME but about taking care of YOU.

I am on a dental forum where dentistry is a low priority for most of the people on the forum. One dentist basically called me a fool (ok it was in stronger terms than that) because by doing really great dentistry, I will make far less money and which allows the insurance company to make more profit.
If I fix a tooth twice in a patients life, I make a little money in 30 years but if I fix the same tooth six or seven times in 30 years, I will make far more money and deprive the insurance company of profits.

Do you see a YOU (the patient) in any of this explanation????

This is what I wrote on the forum 10 minutes ago:

Hi Matt;
Well it took me a night to sleep on what you are saying but I FINALLY understand.
You are saying, if I understand you,  that in order to to get back at the insurance company and limit their profit, you are advocating doing crappy dentistry.
You get the MOST money from the insurance company at the patient’s expense..
So you willing to hurt your patient so that you can be the most successful businessman.
It is like saying if we kill all the poor children, we won’t have to feed them and your taxes will be lower.
It is all about greed.
Nice
PLEASE correct me if I am misunderstand you…because I hope that I am. I hope that I have been too stupid to understand what you are saying an misinterpreted your example.
gerald 

You know I am passionate about my work...More importantly, I am more passionate about taking care of you. I will not.....EVER.... place my financial success over your best interest.

You are my reason for doing what I do.

There is absolutely a generational difference and now you can see it with your own eyes. Very troubling for me.