Saturday, June 16, 2018

Paying it Forward With a New Friend

I meet many young dentists online which is very similar to how people meet their spouses. About 6 weeks ago, I complimented a young dentist from Egypt on a case that he had the courage to post on a clinical forum. We chatted awhile and he mentioned that he will be traveling to New York City in a few weeks and would it be ok to visit my office?

Omar arrived last Sunday and left yesterday (Friday.) He met me at my office everyday at 7:20 AM and stayed 1-2 hours after our last patient left.  He was amazed at how we treated our patients and the quality of the work that we did, as are most of the young dentists who visit our office. It surprised him when I told him that the first three  patients on Tuesday had been my patients a combined total of more than 100 years and that they each had travelled more than 35 miles each way.

Omar was a delight to have in our office for the entire week. When a young dentist visits our office and we give him details of our patients, the treatment and the length of time that we have cared for them, it give US the opportunity to reflect on our office: What we have accomplished, what our mission is and who our patients are.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to take care of you and your family. It has been my life's work and a career that few can match.

Oh yes, Omar said the he never expected to be treated like family by strangers.. How else would we treat a guest?