Friday, October 19, 2018

A "Comfort" Number

There have been many times in my life that I wanted to buy something but had no  clue what was a good or fair price for that item. Today, because of the internet, it is certainly easier to find out a significant amount about an item or a service before a purchase is made. What I never did, however, was to pick a 'comfort number' of what an item SHOULD cost.. a "comfort number" (my phrase) is the number that I am comfortable in paying for an item REGARDLESS of what the item actually costs. It is the NUMBER that we WANT to pay even though we have no idea of what  the item actually sells for.

Where is this going....

I often have people present for a consultation for cosmetic dentistry that come in and say, "Oh I thought that it would cost....." If you are going for a consult, why select a comfort number when in short order you will find out the ACTUAL cost of the treatment that you are looking for. "Well I thought that it should only cost $1,000 a tooth and I saw it on the internet."

What people need to know is what is the RANGE of the cost of treatment? Just so that you know, I sent my wife to THE BEST and THE MOST EXPENSIVE restorative dentist in the country 15-20 years ago...How expensive? FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS A TOOTH.