Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dentist as Patient

Yesterday afternoon I treated a new patient who had travelled FIVE Hours to come to my office. Did he want veneers? Or did he have a serious dental problem that required a superior clinician? Dr L had broken a piece of natural tooth on the inside aspect of his lower left second molar (the place that cuts up your tongue until it is repaired). I asked him how he wanted me to repair his tooth. Did he want me to cut away his healthy remaining tooth for a new crown? Or did he want one of those beautiful, strong bonded white fillings that he had seen me post on the ACE Dental forum over the last 4 or 5 years? He told me that he had travelled 5 hours for me to keep as much natural tooth structure as I could and place a bonded white filling. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And after I did that for him, would I mind balancing out his bite (by doing an occlusal equilibration) that I was always talking about on the ACE forum.
Whenever another dentist selects me as their personal dentist, I feel honored and respected. And if I am doing the same treatment for my patients on a daily basis, I must be doing something right.
It is an honor to treat another dentist but I must tell you that I receive as much personal satisfaction each time one of YOU, my regular patients, are in my chair.
Thank you for selecting me as your dentist