Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dont' Call Me a Health Care Provider

I recently called in a prescription for a patient on the weekend who had an infection. When I called the pharmacy, the voice mail directed me to the option of "press 2" if this is a health care provider.
I must tell you that I AM OFFENDED to be called a 'health care provider.' I attended dental school and not health provider school.
Why did the insurance industry coin the phrase, 'health care provider?' A DOCTOR is expected to be knowledgeable, caring and deserving of a great deal of respect with better than average amount of compensation. Because insurance companies don't want to pay doctors, they have done everything they can to eliminate the respect that doctors deserve and used to get. The insurance companies don't have to pay 'health care providers' the same amount of compensation that they used to pay DOCTORS. (Aside: Physicians pay has been cut in HALF, in real terms, over the last 20 years.)
So what does this mean for you and me when we go to our health care provider? It means that they barely know our names, can't remember why we have the appointment and are out the door in 3 to 5 minutes.
I want to see a DOCTOR who knows who I am, remembers the important aspects of my medical history and is really happy to see ME, his or her patient.
I am offended to be called a 'health care provider' but I LOVE BEING A DOCTOR.