Saturday, January 29, 2011

"It Just Wasn't the Right Thing to Do"

There was a front page story in Thursday's New York Times about a baseball pitcher who earned $12 million a year to play and REFUSED to take his salary.

"When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it. Once I started to realize I wasn't earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn't feel like I deserved it. I didn't want to have those feelings again."

Can you believe it?

It is so rare in American life that someone even talks about 'Doing the Right Thing' and even rarer to have them walk the talk.

'Do The Right Thing' is MY OFFICE MOTTO. It is on the stone card holders in my office. Anyone who has been my patient for any length of time will hear me recite my motto and go on to say that if I can't give you VALUE for your money, that I don't want your money.

Just last week, my office manager Tricia told me that she hears "Do the Right Thing" in her sleep...And I am happy to hear that.

The one thing that my patients must know about me is that I will never do anything to hurt you to earn my fee. We MUST do the right thing.