Sunday, January 23, 2011

Would I Do It On My Own Daughter?

Would I do the treatment on my own daughter if she was my patient?

I saw a new, 26 year old female patient on Friday for a consultation for my area of expertise, cosmetic dentistry. She was referred to me by another of my patients specifically to improve her smile. After examining her teeth and smile, I performed a Direct Resin Mock UP which is a technique that I have perfected for demonstrating to patients what their smile would look like if they decided to have treatment. More importantly, the Mock Up tells ME where I need to go with this case. My patient was thrilled with the Mock Up and informed me that she wanted to move forward with treatment.

I told my patient that I could significantly improve her smile with veneers but that if she were MY DAUGHTER, I would strongly recommend an orthodontic consultation because I feel that it would be better to MOVE her teeth into the correct position rather than to remove tooth structure for veneers. The correct treatment is first to move her teeth AND THEN place porcelain veneers.

I could earn more money immediately if I just placed porcelain veneers in the next few weeks. I would rather wait a year to have her teeth orthodontically placed in the right position first BEFORE placing veneers.

Why don't I want to earn money now?

Because I would not treat my own daughter with veneers without first having orthodontics. Because it is not the right thing to do.

Before deciding on any medical or dental treatment, you must always ask your physician or dentist what they would do if you were their wife, son or daughter.