Friday, June 17, 2011

Making a Diffence for the Next Generation

I believe that each generation has an obligation to pass 'something' to the next generation that makes a difference or changes lives. Last night was another evening of learning at the Root Canal Experts Education Center and I was hoping that one of the young dentists would pull me aside to tell me how much the techniques that I taught them in our last course had made them a better dentist.

I was thrilled when SEVERAL young dentists told me that they went back to their offices the next day and tried the techniques that I had invented or refined and how much better their dentistry had become because of what they had learned. I have no children but I can imagine that this is how parents feel when their children come home with news of winning a sporting event or earning an unexpected high grade on a test at school.

I am so honored and proud to have made a difference in the lives of my students. One student even told me that while she was working on a patient she asked herself, "Now what would Gerald do in this situation?"

Making a difference is the essence of life and it feels great to know that I have changed a few lives during the last decade of my career.