Saturday, June 4, 2011

Setting the Standard of EXCELLENCE



You know how much I love my job and how much I care about treating you right. Everyone talks about 'the pursuit of excellence' but slogans are mere words on a piece of paper or words in a commercial. Excellence is so rare that we may no longer even recognize it and many of us no longer appreciate it. But sometimes, someone says something that will stop you in your tracks because they will tell you that you ARE the recognizable STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE.

When I post my work on the ACE dental forum or send my recent work to the small group of young dentists that I mentor, it is not to brag how good I think that I am but rather to show them that THEY need to raise the quality of the care that they are providing to their patients. My 'professorial' side is never far in the background.

Yesterday, a dentist from Maryland sent me a comment on my work saying:

"Holy cow!!!! not only was it masterful but also one more example of the excellence we all aspire too.......really. Gerald I have found your personal journey over the last several years and the place where you've finally landed very gutsy. I know it must have had it's fair share of challenges in order to pull it off. You da man. I enjoy all your posts."

It is the most incredible feeling of accomplishment to have someone tell you that they want to do what you do at the level that you do it. It should make you very happy as well knowing that others feel that you made the right choice in selecting ME TO TAKE CARE OF YOU.

I will NEVER abuse your trust and I will NEVER do any dentistry that is solely being done just to earn me more money....And that, in itself, is setting a standard of excellence.