Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Unethical treatment


I have blogged many times about removing healthy tooth structure by dentists placing crowns and onlays that I no longer believe is necessary. More than 40 years ago dentistry created rules for when to place crowns but that is before we had full adhesive dentistry which started in 1992. Adhesive dentistry,also called bonding, can strengthen teeth without crowns or onlays but the majority of dentists still believe in removing healthy tooth structure to 'strengthen' teeth with crowns or onlays.

Yesterday I posted comments on the ACE dental forum telling the group that I have a TEN YEAR HISTORY of bonding resin fillings in back teeth with virtually no failures.
This is what I told the group:

Hi All;
Most of us cringe at the idea of practicing GV Black's dentistry especially since we consider ourselves adhesively oriented. But the fact of the matter is that the majority of practicing dentists still are following concepts of 40 years or more ago. The concept of covering the buccal and lingual cusps of a tooth when the width of the carious lesion or previous restoration is half the width of the cusps is absolutely unfounded in the modern era of adhesive dentistry. With the exception of comprehensive or full mouth rehab and posterior endodontically treated teeth, we have been crown and onlay free for almost 10 years and I cannot think of a single restorative failure.
The removal of healthy tooth structure for fabricating crowns or onlays borders on the unethical and certainly unnecessary...Dave Allman, Paul Belvedere, Ray Voller , Dennie Jenkins and Dennie Owens of Greater Curve fame have all discovered the same thing that I did which is that crowns and onlays should be the exception in modern dentistry and not the rule.
The attached photo is of a tooth (#14) that had deep and wide decay encompassing 60-70% if the occlusal surface and 50% of the palatal surface.
I would almost be willing to bet $10,000 that this tooth would look exactly the same 10 years from now as it does today.
Regards,
gerald

The result: NOT ONE DENTIST either criticised or supported my comments. NOT ONE. Because they KNOW that I am right and they can no longer justify removing healthy tooth structure except that they make more money doing crowns than filling.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT YOUR BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY TOOTH CUT DOWN FOR A CROWN?
This is now YOUR choice whether keeping your own tooth is more important than weakening your tooth...YOUR CHOICE. Because I promise you that I will do my very best to help you keep every bit of your healthy tooth.