Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rosalyn S Yallow, MD Nobel Medical Physicist

Dr. Yallow passed away recently. She was only the second woman to win a Nobel Prize in medicine. When she was applying to graduate school she was rejected because "She was from New York, she was Jewish and she was a woman." Can you imagine the world we used to be?

Dr. Yallow's life was her work and her family. The obituary in today's New York Times said, "She had no hobbies and traveled only to give lectures and attend conferences." That sounds all too familiar to me.

Many people who have accomplished a great deal will relate that at some time in their life they were told that they would not amount to anything or could not do the job that they were applying for and ultimately became world renown.

I think that my rejection from almost every dental school in the United States would qualify me for that group of individuals who failed to attract positive attention only to go on to be recognized by their peers and their profession.

I wouldn't mind it if my obituary were to read like Dr. Yallows...from rejection to high accomplishment.